Sunday, August 17, 2008

When life gives you Lemons.......

Yes, you know it.......make lemonade.  My friend Darcy commented not to long ago about how things happen for a reason in life and when given lemons, make lemonade.  I have always tried to embrace that philosophy of life but its always helpful when friends give us that supportive reminder.

So, these past two weeks,  numerous lemons have been thrown my way..... 
A major lemon that I have been dealing with have been chronic migraines.  Now, taking my own advice.......I know that these are things I can not control so "dealing" with them is what I must do.  My neurologist often says, "julie, you  have a migrainese brain and you will have migraines that are out of your control".  The bummer came when I was all packed up and ready to go to Pigman(see last post) with my girlfriends when a MAJOR migraine attacked saturday morning.
I was not able to function as a human being and therefore had to wave good bye as Jen and Cathy pulled away from my driveway without me.  We all knew it was the best decision but hard to take as I was ready to see what I had in me at the Half Ironman. 
After taking the max amount of abortive relief  drugs(for migraines) allowed for this 24 hour period and accepting that I was NOT going to Pigman, I cancelled our overnight babysitter and figured out a new weekend plan.  

The Lemonade was made when I was able to attend Trevor's Football Jamboree.  I had earlier dropped him off and he was expecting Megan(niece and babysitter) to pick him up.  I showed up, found a spot to sit down and just watch.  I enjoyed taking photos of Trev and watching him hang with his team. Trevor absolutely loves this sport, it was so exciting to be a part of that for him. 
 


Trevor's team is the Cowboys.  He is #82.  Trev's last name is LaPoint(on his jersey).
Trevor played offensive linesman and some at defensive tackle.  He told me his favorite part of the day is when he was able to tackle the quarterback.  

Staying home allowed me some extra time with my kids for sure.  After football and after sleeping for the rest of the afternoon, I was feeling about 60% by 6:00pm.  Just feeling good enough to spend some alone time with Lexi, took her to her favorite store at MOA, "Justice, for girls" for some back to school shopping.

Other than shopping, Lexi's new favorite thing has become our neighbor's dog, "marley". She loves this dog and sometimes I think she believes it is hers. She took Marley to Trev's football game and was upset with me that I was telling people it wasn't our dog. "mom, they just don't need to know that!" 

So, as my head is clearing and this migraine is going away......i am thankful for the extra time i spent with my kids this weekend.  For my friends that went down to Pigman, I hope you had a wonderful time and a great race.  I look forward to the next race we can do together.....

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;  courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. 


9 comments:

Iron Girl Nyhus said...

I am glad you are feeling better. Way to go on staying home and letting yourself rest :)

Sara said...

I'm glad you did make some "lemonade", it sounds like you had a great weekend once you started feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Good call staying home!!! I'm glad you are feeling better. I bet your kids were happy to have a little extra "Mom" time this weekend.

becca dalrymple said...

i'm sorry jules. you would have rocked the pigman!

Darcy Franklin said...

That lemonade is the best kind. Kid lemonade. YUMMY!

And who knows, maybe since you didn't go to Pigman, your injury could be 100% by Florida. You didn't sound super confident about running at Pigman, so this was a good thing. As horrible as migraines are, you have to believe the timing of this one was telling you something!

Keep positive and I love what Nyhus said. You are the cutest one out there so even if you have a bad day, at least you look good!

GoBigGreen said...

I hope you are feeling better for TNTT. Last one, no matter what our times it will be a good night to get out and ride. Please find me after the race, it seems i know you are there, and you know i am there but we never connect. Hugs.
Julia

Steve Stenzel said...

Great photos!! And how can you NOT love a dog named Marley?!?

Cy said...

Jmac-As soon as we pulled up on Saturday, I knew Pigman was not the right choice for you. Although we missed you dearly, I'm happy to hear you made the best of it.

Take care of that calf injury ...Keep me posted.

xoxo

GoBigGreen said...

Julies,
I missed you. I am glad it wasnt injury induced and i thought maybe the storm clouds kept you away. I am kind of in offseason but will hopefully do a few fall TT's and a duathlon. I need to hit some tennis balls!
If you want to join up for some of our longer rides let me know. We are doing a century on sept 7th.
Drop me an email.
Julia