Sunday, November 23, 2008

A time to be Thankful

The other day I sat in my office at school with four crabby fourth grade girls. They indeed had life issues to be crabby about- no doubt. But, we quickly learned that by whining about life, we became sadder and crabbier. I went to my whiteboard(there is no such thing as blackboards anymore........and now if you are lucky Smartboards are replacing whiteboards) and put on top in bold letters, Things to be Grateful For:

At first, it took a while to get the conversation going.......but in no time, we had that board filled, we were telling stories and laughing and smiling.......feeling so much better. Yes, indeed......remembering WHAT we were GRATEFUL for helped shift our way of thinking into the positive frame of mind.
I am a firm believer in thinking sad thoughts equals feeling sad.
Thinking positive thoughts shift our thinking into positive thinking and therefore feeling more positive.
Pretty simple.

SO..........Here is my list of what I am Grateful for.........This list makes me HAPPY!

-My beautiful Kids, because they are kids and they do the funniest things, they are full of hugs and unconditional love.
-My Mom
-memories of my Dad: his smile, hugs, times together
-My 5 sisters
-My 6 brothers
- My extended family
-My wonderful support system of friends and family
-My best friends
-My incredible training opportunities through Gear West and SCS
-My awesome staff at Red Pine Elementary
-My Health
-My willingness to learn, to grow
-My faith
-My desire to be the best person I can be
-watching my kids shine as they learn and grow into wonderful people
-knowing my kids have a wonderful Dad who loves them and will always care for them
-for the people that have come into my life, sharing wonderful time together
-sunny days
-snowy days
-learning the new joys of photography
-travel
-the challenge each race and season brings
-long bike rides with friends
-trail runs
-adventurous mountain bike rides
-early morning lake swims
-runs with my sister, always followed by coffee for hours
-making chocolate chip cookies with the kids (after eating most of the dough)
-loving chocolate
-wa
tching the sun rise and sun set (if an ocean is near by.......perfect)



My last thought. Lets all do one nice thing for some one else TODAY. Lets give one gift of being kind today.
One random act of kindness. Lets share our blessings with others. WE feel good, lets share that with others today.
Even if its simply sharing a smile.


Lexi and Mom

Trev

My Big Family

My Friends

My Little Family

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful...great post.

Sara said...

I love your post and it is so true! Once you start thinking about the positive you start to feel better. Your post is a good reminder to look for the brighter side of things!

djh said...

I am thinking that people should DO these good things but not necessarily WRITE about them. We as a family have done tons this week alone and then some, but I won't share, since I don't do kind things for people for the kudos it gets me later on. I do it because it's the right thing to do and because it makes me feel good. As has been blatantly apparent, I am sure, I don't give a fig what anyone thinks about me, I got over that many years ago. I am extremely comfortable with who I am and don't need the affirmations and kudos of random blogger strangers or anyone for that matter to tell me I have done something kind or good. It's really sad that some think they must have this. Food for thought.

EZnJ said...

Jules - I love the post! I love your thoughts. Loved how you worked with the kids to turn their whining to positive energy. You have such a knack for helping others with all that you do and say. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I am thankful for you!!! xoxxox-jules

Darcy Franklin said...

Thanks for the great reminder!

And djh....if you say you don't care a fig, why do you feel the need to throw your unwanted opinions at people that clearly don't want them? You might be much more productive in your life not worrying about the blogs you visit and the research you do to find out where Cathy shops, her love life and what not and spend it with that beautiful baby of yours. Food for thought.....

GoBigGreen said...

Jmac:
Enjoy the day. I feel very blessed to have met you and enjoy reading your blog and seeing your beautiful pictures.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Eileen Swanson said...

LOVE this!! So glad you're so HAPPY!!