Wednesday, December 3, 2008

standing up for what you believe in



Today i had all kinds of goals. I was going to get the christmas decorations out, I was going to organize Lexi's new room, start my weight lifting routine (that coach john and i just talked about and put together), and i was was really excited to hear a speaker talk about the importance of character and values in our youth today. WELL........that all went out the window when a migraine snuck up on me at work and I had no meds left (not good). So, as soon as school was out, I got home as fast as I could, got in the door, gave myself my shot and fell into my bed.........was awoke by Trevor's text 2 hours later and felt some relief. After grumbling that my evening was shot and trying to just figure out what i could do........i remembered the amount of snow in my driveway.........i managed to bundle up and head outdoors. I tell ya, that was the best thing i did ALL day. That fresh air and little bit of physical labor woke me, made me smile and got me going. My migraine was about 75% gone, just enough diminished to get myself in the car and on my way to the inspirational speaker.
I am so GLAD I did.

The speaker was from Youth Frontiers and talked about Character and the importance of teaching our youth today. He talked about the challenges of our society today and how we are responsible for modeling and educating our youth, morally and ethically. Respect, compassion, honesty, graditude, humility. These are concepts I want my kids to not only understand but to live by everyday. And yes, I want to be the parent modeling and using teachable moments everyday. I want to be the parent that takes time to really BE with my kids. I want to teach them that WAITING for things is important. That even though they often don't see it, they have enough. That losing is just as important as winning. That Effort is everything. That nobody is perfect but everybody is precious. That while technology is a gift it can have barriers and must be used appropriately and with rules.
This is not an easy job, this often means I am the one to say, "no", "not today", "its bedtime", "not during dinnertime" but I understand that and hearing this speaker tonight reinforced why this job needs to be consistent. I know the payoffs will be great!!

So, this is our family blog. Trevor and Lexi love reading it and looking at the pictures. My hope is that they will be contributing some writing soon. But, last post had them a little concerned. My commenter Dana, thinks she knows who I am. Dana does not know me. This upset my kids. Trevor was just concerned for me, wondering if I was ok that she made those comments. I assured him I was ok. My Lexi, she wanted to meet Dana and let her know that she is a bully. That it is not nice to say those things about people you don't know. That is what bullies do. She says, "we learned that in school." She continued to say, "Mom, if she met you......she would never say those things about you."


moral courage: To paraphrase Edmund Burke, the only way for evil people to succeed is for the vast majority of good people to do nothing.






7 comments:

Darcy Franklin said...

Way to rally and shovel the driveway. I have no excuse for not shoveling my sidewalk.

I love the kids view point of the comments on your blog. They are so right. Why can't some adults remember what we learned in school?

Life is full of love, laughter, heartbreak, ups and downs but it is all about recovering from the downs and moving on. This goes for me, you and djh. Move on. Life it good.

Cy said...

It sounds like the Speaker was a great reminder to continue being YOU. As you said, his key words included respect, gratitude, character, compassion...
...in my mind that describes you perfectly.

xoxo

PS-I hope your feeling better today. I'll miss you tonight!





I hope your feeling better today!

Cy said...

PS-I would stop posting/reading snarky's comments.

That 'poison' has no place on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Hey beautiful...love your post. I know we talked about the kids being upset about the blog last weekend. I agree with CY, I wouldn't post the crazy comments anymore. DJH knows NOTHING about you and if she did, she clearly wouldn't be saying these mean things to you as well as the rest of us. You are the best! Love ya!

EZnJ said...

You made me all misty eyed. I'm so sorry we couldn't talk longer today. This blog is so beautiful and strong... I just love it. Real and you! Let's swim and run on Sat am :) TTYL.... xoxoxo -j2

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

GREAT post! I'll have Bobby and Ally read it too.
I can't believe Dana is leaving on your blog too - she even left one for me!
xoxo

Mary Eggers said...

You know what I decided to do a while ago..... if in the first sentence of a blog comment I feel like it is negative, I stop reading and I delete. If I see Dana's initials.... I delete without reading. She actually might be saying something nice.... but I won't give my energy to that crap.

Well said and well lived!