Sunday, May 18, 2008

to be a soldier


Today started a new season, it was the Gear West Du.  But with it came a metaphor from the past-from last year's tri season in fact.  I remember it well.  I remember Becca and I smiling for this photo. This photo was taken at Buffalo Tri, minutes before our wave took off into the water.  Photo taken by Paul Phillips. Looking back, I think, "man we looked happy". Because we were happy.  We were happy because we love triathlons, we love the sport, we love the training and we love the people.  Little did we know that in next couple of hours we would both have quite the battle in front of us. You see, we both got lost on the bike course that day.  Gone was the competitive group we yearned to be with as well as the dreams of accomplishing the results we had hoped for (numbers that is).  But, we have a wise coach.  Coach John.  And he reminded us that we were "soldiers" out there.  We didn't quit.  We eventually found our way on the bike and kept on til the end...We fought the battle and we conquered our own race.  This was a pivotal moment for me.  A metaphor that would stick in my head and shape my mental attitude towards racing.  
BE A SOLDIER.  
For me, the rest of the season, was an individual battle.  A season filled with opportunities to be a soldier.  Opportunities to fight my hardest, to battle tough conditions, to dig deep into reserves.  The
 cool thing about a metaphor is that it becomes your own.  You begin to expand it to what it means to you.  For me, a true and respected soldier that does his best, puts his best effort out there on the racecourse,  knows they can be happy with that.  HAPPY  when they cross the finish line and HAPPY after they  look through the results.  An experienced soldier learns this skill, trusting only their efforts and not worrying about the results of their competitors.  
So, that was last season........
Today, was no exception!
With one year of intense soldier duty under my belt, I went into GW du with a a refreshing attitude of "be a soldier".   It is a fresh start, a new season. 
I had all the typical pre race jitters.  I had a great time getting all my gear together, trying to figure out what to wear (always a challenge for me, just che
ck out last years  pics from gw).  I was trying out n
ew ZIPP wheels(thanks Kevin), new headset (thanks Dan), new funky Aero Helmet (no help on transition times- I seemed to be buckled challenged). 
The best part was being on that start line and chatting with all the fellow tri(du)athletes.  
Short race recap- hard run, smoother bike, harder run.
I know that I gave it my very best out there today.  I dug deep and it hurt. I smiled and I had fun.  I have looked at results and have started to fall into the trap of disappointment.  It is in writing this and realizing that is unfair to myself.  I was a soldier today.  I will be a soldier again.  I will train hard and I will continue to make improvements.  I
 will be patient with my progress.  Everybody has their own story to tell.  Mine is about doing the best I can for me and being happy with that. When I came home, I told my results to my kids.  They acted like I won the Gold.  What's better than that
Thanks to all the volunteers,  cheerers, supporters, and photographers today.  Special thanks to
 Jan and Kevin for an  awesome race.

Picture taken at Gear West Du by Yndecam

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this post! What a wise a Coach you have...maybe I should hire him? HA!

Great job at the DU!!! What a nice way to kick off the season.

John Shelp said...

Got chills! I so damn proud of you. Thanks for inspiring me all over again!

EZnJ said...

I was great to be out there with you jules! You're a breath of fresh air. Love your determination... instead of chills, you know me... I got misty... You're incredible!

Cy said...

I love that picture of you and Becca! Indeed happiness among friends is what its all about. We are so luky to have such a great group out there.

I'm so proud of you-Way to go Soldier!

GoBigGreen said...

Missed you last night..it was kinda slow even tho there was less wind. ( excuse? maybe!) Hope to see you at TNTT as well.
Julia