Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A tribute to my Dad on Father's Day


I think of my Dad everyday, everyday.  True.  Today, no exception.
Family times were not just a gathering, they were an everyday event.  In the picture below is the Family bus.  Rightfully so, this bus was named, "happiness is"(painted on the front) with Rosie and Bob and Teresa, Gary, Cathy, Steve, Louise, Mark, MaryJo, John, Mike, Julie, Amy, and later David painted down the side.  This bus ventured the East coast, West Coast and everywhere in between!
My Dad taught me so many things about life.  He taught the value of a strong work ethic.  Many of his kids worked right along side with him in his family business, McMonagle Lumber.  While running  a successful business, he made sure to demonstrate the importance of family and spending time together.
My Dad showed his love to my Mom everyday.  They supported each other, spent time together and laughed together.  
I had many wonderful and special opportunities with my Dad.  Playing tennis with my Dad was always great, he was always up for the challenge and I am sure it was not great fun at times 
"hitting" with all of us little ones when we could return 1 out 10 balls.  But if you asked, he would play.  I also remember many wonderful times at our family cottage; skiing, boating, doing many chores together, campfires, playing cards and special trips to Dairy Queen!
I can't begin to list all the wonderful memories......so many.
I would have loved an additional 10 or 20 years with my Dad, but that was not our choice.  So, it is on days like today I like to reflect on all those positive memories and share them to honor my  Dad.  
This is me and my Dad in High School!
This is one of the only pictures I have of Trevor with Grandpa.  Grandpa died while I was pregnant with Lexi.  She feels like she knows him well, we love to talk about Grandpa Bob.
I miss you Dad.  When I run in the trails, I can feel your presence and I know you are listening to me and guiding me.
Love you Dad.
 Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's out there.  

5 comments:

Iron Girl Nyhus said...

What great memories. How fun to have such a big family. I love the bus :)

Cy said...

Great Dedication Julie-

When I get my Happiness bus you're always welcome aboard.

xox
-cy

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Father!

GoBigGreen said...

OMG that is so cool. I love the bus..reminds me of the Partridge Family ( ok I am dating myself arent i!)
Caught up in the NVGP and some RR/Crits but will be at the next TNTT!
Julia

EZnJ said...

I am in Tears! what a beautiful reflection for father's day! You're dad sounds like he made the most of everyday and family was #1 - very admirable. it is no wonder you have that same leadership with your kids. You're the best jules :)