Sunday, June 1, 2008

NINE Days left.......but who is counting??




  It feels like summer and I LOVE it.  One major bonus about working in the schools is SUMMERS OFF!!!  
And I have a feeling, this summer is going to be great!

This weekend was all about resting, rejuvinating, preparing for summer.
It feels so good to put some effort into a project, like lawn work.  I have a pretty big yard that takes some maintenance and its not always top of the priority list.......but when it gets done- boy does it feel good.  That was friday.

Saturday, I got in the lake for the first time this season.  
Dan and I ventured to Lake Ann.  There is  something about lake swimming....to be in the open water, the freedom, being out in nature.  I love it.  It was cold at first but then it just felt great.

Later in the day, Jen called to get together for a spontaneous ride (my favorite).  We were out for an ez hour when we heard the sirens go off.  We noticed that things seemed to get pretty dark pretty fast.  Jen was close to her house and I decided to TT it home, trying to beat the storm.
This was probably not the smartest move on my part.  I booked it home, a harder effort than I planned on for the day, for sure.  The clouds were increasingly darkening and the calm was spooky.  All I could think of pushing faster, harder to not get swept up in some tornado like winds.  Well, as I was turning into my neighborhood, I could see the huge raindrops hitting the pavement.  As I entered my garage, I heard the winds howling and the hail hitting the pavement. It was close.  I escaped a major hail storm by seconds.  Not very smart.

Sunday, my friend Merilee and I hit the lakes again.  Man, I wish I had my camera!  Poor Merilee had this rip in her wetsuit that extened from her shoulder all the way down her arm to her elbow.  That could not have felt good in the chilly water.  And I felt bad because my wetsuit was faulty and ripping (which is a big bummer now that tri season is here and I need to figure out a plan) so I was using my old wetsuit and didn't have a spare wetsuit for her to use.  So, we get all the way to the start of the lake (which for those of you who have swam Lac Lavon, know its a bit of a hike) and Merilee's swim cap rips...... so, she braves the elements and decides to swim without a cap in the very brisk waters.  Again, wishing I had my camera to document this.
 After that, we enjoyed a nice long trail run......ahhhhhhhh sundays.

But, my big project for the weekend was really to plant my garden.  Gardening is just therapeutic to me- on many different levels.  The planting, the maintaining, the harvesting ,the cooking and enjoying meals knowing the food came from my very own 
garden.  There is nothing like that.  So, I planted tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, tons of varied peppers(bell and hot), onions.  I need to find some herbs yet.

Lexi and Trev were busy getting into summer activities, playing on the trampoline, riding bikes and of course the hose and water toys came out. 
We are all excited for SUMMER.




6 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

Yummm...get some basil going, pick up some fresh mozzerella and you are set.... and hope the rabbits dont take advantage of your hard work!
PS I need a new wetsuit as well. Gotta get on that. I have a long john now ( but no arms) do you think i should get long arms?

EZnJ said...

Let us know if you need any rhubarb...it's reading for picking. It sounds like you had a great weekend too. Kerry and I were (once again) humbled by our better halves, but hey, we couldn't have asked for a better weather day in Palo.
-E

Darcy Franklin said...

With taking this season off, I have also gotten into gardening! I planted my very first vegetable garden! I can't wait for the very things you wrote about - especially the eating part! It was great to break out the sprinkler for the kiddos this weekend! I thought that day would never come this year.

juliemac said...

Erik- Yes to Rhubarb.....my mom has the best strawberry/rhubarb pie recipe!
And Julia I agree to Basil and Cilantro will complete my Garden!! Long sleeve wetsuit INDEED!
Darcy- I tried to comment on your blog, where is it??
We'll have to compare notes on our veggies and get the kids together this summer for sure!!

Cy said...

7 days now!! THe countdown has begun at our place too.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are still in school up there?! We've been out for two weeks!

Hey, do you hire out gardening? I would pay well!! =)